Meaco have done it again with the new Meaco 25L Low Energy Dehumidryer. It is fair to say that if Carlsberg made dehumidifiers they would surely make Meaco dehumidifiers!
The dehumidryer is a cross between a dehumidifier and a tumble dryer and the harder the unit works the less energy it uses! What? It’s true, the higher you toggle the fan speed the lower the power usage becomes. This is possible due to the DC motor which is described lower down in this review.
Just like the Zambezi dehumidifier released earlier this year Meaco have released another industry benchmark with the Meaco 25L Low Energy Dehumidryer. In fact the dehumidryer is so good that Meaco have added it to their Platinum collection.
An interesting fact is that the dehumidryer is the first dehumidifier in Europe to feature a DC inverter for lower energy operation. This type of technology is normally used in high-end air conditioning units etc. We did say that Meaco sets dehumidifier benchmarks!
Let’s start this review with a quick overview of the units features and specifications.
Meaco 25L Dehumidryer Features
- Low energy dehumidifier
- 25L extraction rate
- 5L water tank
- 4 Modes
- Laundry mode
- Adjustable louvre
- Digital LED display
- Low 270W running costs
- Child lock included
- Suitable for flats and up to 5 bedroom houses
- 1-12 hour timer
- Castor Wheels
- Auto defrost
- Auto restart
- Power Consumption: 270W – 330W
- Colour: Grey
- Suitable For: Flats to 5 Bedroom Home
- Type of Dehumidifier: Compressor
- Warranty: 2 Years
- R134a Refrigerant
- Extraction Rate: 25L
- Humidistat: Yes
- Tank Size: 5L
- Dimensions: 378mm x 287mm x 644mm
At maximum power consumption of 330w at an electricity rate of 15p per kW the Meaco 25L dehumidryer will cost approx 4.95p per hour to run.
At a lower fan speed and consumption of 220w the unit will cost approximately 3.3p per hour to operate.
For a unit of this size the dehumidryer provides a very good service at a very low price.
According to savethestudent.org a 2,400w tumble dryer will cost around 35.7p to run for an hour so by using the Meaco dehumidryer there are significant cost savings to be made.
The Meaco 25L Dehumidryer extracts a massive 25 litres per day at a test temperature of 30°C and 80% humidity.
Obviously the UK climate is more temperate than the above test climate. Meaco have said that the Meaco 25L low energy dehumidryer extracts 11 litres of water per day at 20°C and 60% RH.
Compressor dehumidifiers typically extract a little less than half of the stated extraction rate in UK temperatures so the dehumidryers actual extraction rate vs stated extraction rate is perfectly normal.
The water tank is a massive 5 litre bucket which is situated low down on the front of the unit.
There is an integrated handle on the bottom of the tank which allows you to remove and insert the tank without any trouble. The tank slides smoothly in and out.
Once you pull the tank out you will see another fold down handle with which you can easily and safely carry the water tank to the sink for emptying. Once at the sink simply pull up the lid and tilt the tank into the sink.
A great little feature is that there is a little strip of clear plastic on the front of the water tank which allows you to see the level of the water. This allows you to empty the tank before it gets full so that the dehumidryer can run for longer.
As with all dehumidifiers the dehumidryer will stop operations once the water tank is full to avoid spillage. Once the tank has been emptied and inserted properly the dehumidryer will resume operations in the same setting that it stopped operating in.
The dehumidryer comes with a continuous drainage function which makes it ideal for use in places such as boats, caravans, garages, sheds, motor homes and other places where you might not want to empty the water tank very often.
The drainage is gravity led so you must place the unit above a sink or drain for the continuous drainage facility to function properly.
A lengthy 2 metre drainage hose is supplied.
The Meaco 25L Dehumidryer Filter
The dehumidryer comes with a standard dust filter which is a pity as an anti-bacterial filter would complement the ioniser perfectly.
The control panel is very easy to understand and operate.
The LED display screen is in the centre and this shows you the current room humidity level and temperature as well as various settings when you change them.
To the left of the LED display screen are 4 buttons and these are;
- Child Lock button which locks the buttons in place so that the settings can’t be accidentally changed.
- Fan Speed button which allows you to change between 3 fan speeds while in humidistat mode
- Louvre Swing button which allows you to change the angle of the adjustable louvre.
- Ioniser button which allows you to turn the ioniser on and off.
To the right of the LED display screen are 4 other buttons which are;
- Mode button which allows you to switch between the 4 operational modes of the dehumidryer.
- Power button which allows you to turn the dehumidryer on or off.
- Timer button for 1 – 12 hour settings.
4 Modes of the Dehumidryer
- Humidistat Mode – This mode is controlled by the water drop button on the control panel and allows you to set a target humidity level between 30% and 80% in 5% increments.
- Laundry Mode – Ideal for drying washing inside. The dehumidryer will operate at maximum fan speed to dry your washing faster. Don’t forget to engage the louvre as this will blow hot air over your laundry.
- Quiet Mode – This sets operation for night-time use and keeps the dehumidryer operating at around 42 db(A) which is very quiet for a compressor dehumidifier of this size.
- Auto Mode – uses the MeacoEasyRH control program that allows the dehumidifier to become automated at the touch of a button. When the unit becomes automated is functions as follows;
- 45% Humidty – fan mode low, compressor off
- 50% – 55% Humidity – fan speed low, compressor on
- 55% – 65% Humidity – fan speed two, compressor on
- 65% + Humidity – fan speed high, compressor on
12 Hour Timer
The timer is a countdown timer and can be set for between 1 – 12 hours. The timer function and the swing louvre are ideally paired with laundry mode for drying clothes inside.
Fan Speed Setting
The fan speed settings allows you to select from 3 fan settings in humidistat mode only.
Simply press and hold the lock image down for 3 seconds to set the control panel so that the settings can’t be accidently changed. Hold down again for 3 seconds to unlock.
The swing louvre button allows you to turn the swing louvre on or off. When drying laundry inside you should use the swing louvre as it directs the warm air over your damp washing helping it to dry faster.
Bucket Full Symbol
When the bucket full symbol comes on simply empty the water bucket and reinsert properly for the dehumidryer to start operating again. It is a standard safety feature that dehumidifiers stop working when the water bucket is full to avoid spillage and accidents.
The ioniser provides a cleaner air for greater relaxation and breathability. Those with airborne allergies often find breathing difficult due to a larger number of positive ions in the air than negative ions. An ioniser introduces negative ions into the air in order to balance out the number of positive ions.
The result is a cleaner and healthier air which is ideal for improved breathability and relaxation.
The Meaco 25L Dehumidryer restarts in the same setting either after a power cut or after the dehumidryer has been turned off. This is a nice little feature especially if you are operating the unit in auto mode.
To reset to factory settings just turn the unit off, unplug the power cord from the socket, plug the cord back in and turn on the dehumidryer.
Auto defrost is a standard feature on compressor dehumidifiers. When temperatures fall too low the coils get too cold to function properly. When this happens auto defrost mode kicks in and the dehumidifier will stop operations until the coils are warm enough to operate again.
Our loose rule of thumb is to use a compressor dehumidifier in temperatures of over 18°C and desiccant dehumidifiers if using a dehumidifier in temperatures lower than 18°C.
The Meaco dehumidryer comes with a 2 year warranty.
- 1 x Meaco 25L Low Energy Dehumidryer
- 1 x Continuous Drainage Hose
- 1 x Booklet
As with all benchmark Meaco dehumidifiers we are very impressed with the Meaco 25L Dehumidryer.
The DC inverter motor makes total sense from an energy consumption point of view and also makes the dehumidryer a much smaller and efficient tumble dryer alternative.
The combined features such as laundry mode, the swing louvre and the timer make the dehumidryer perfect for drying clothes inside.
Since the dehumidryer is a relatively new release their aren’t many reviews on Amazon as yet. However at time of writing there are 10 reviews 9 of which are 5 star and one which is one star.
The one star reviewer complained about the difficulty of emptying a full 5 litre water tank so just use the plastic window at the front of the water bucket to gauge the water level and empty the tank when it is half full. This way emptying the tank is much more manageable.
Here is what other Meaco 25L dehumidryer purchasers are saying;
- ” Tradesmen can see how much water the Meacos are extracting and often remark they’re “a serious bit of kit”
- “easy to move on the flat thanks to built-in castors. The Quiet Mode operation is indeed decently quiet”
- “Meaco claim this model is THE most effective dehumidifer model that they produce, and I can believe it”
- “Great device, don’t suffer from any damp issues now. easy to empty and clean filter”
- “performance of this one however, surpasses the others in every way possible, even on power consumption”
- “The initial higher cost is quickly recovered in the running cost savings”
- “Immensely powerful at sucking out the water from the air and laundry mode is a life saver if you don’t have a tumble dryer”